Sunday, June 3, 2007

Musing about Mitch







I miss Mitch Stevens so much it hurts, sometimes. I'm so glad the DVDs are out, now I get to watch Mitch and Terri again whenever I want to. Those two are soulmates. I swear, they are so sweet together, even when Terri's trying to run the ward, and Mitch is trying to annoy her, or doing silly things just to get her attention.



And my heart just broke during the episode "Lest Ye Be Judged", when the prosecutrix pestered Mitch about being in love with Terri. The pain in his eyes was evident as he admitted that he had never stopped being in love with Terri, and that he would do anything to protect her. I wanted to smack the prosecutrix for her next comment, which was the smug conclusion that Mitch's admission included lying to the court. Terri looked shocked and saddened by Mitch's admission. It was obviously unexpected, and I believe it took her a while to come to terms with the fact that Mitch was still in love with her. Of course, most of the viewers knew it all along.


Thankfully, Terri was acquitted, as everyone expected she would be. After all, at that point, no Terri, no All Saints. I still feel like that sometimes. Now that Georgie Parker's left the series, it feels like there's a gaping gap. I miss Terri so much it hurts, but I know she may come back one day, so I keep on hoping. That's the good thing about going away to Scotland, rather than dying. Terri can come back. I hope she does.


The dynamic between them, especially as Terri falls back in love with Mitch, is so sweet, and so much fun to watch. Then again, everything about Mitch is fun to watch. And Mitch is a pathetically hopeless tease. The way he interacts with everyone on the ward is so funny to watch. He even manages to break through Von's stern and forbidding exterior, in a manner which only Terri managed before Mitch arrived on the scene.


I swear, in the first half of "Valley of the Shadow", when Mitch is ordering Von to go to an appointment, and Von asks "What? Are you going to drag me there?" and Mitch responds, "Come on" and grabs hold of her arm, I was laughing my head off. Honestly. Well, I think that taught Von not to put ideas in Mitch's head.


On the other hand, I wonder if anything ever taught Mitch not to put ideas in Terri's head. I swear, the episode where Terri says to Mitch that his behaviour towards a patient "bordered on negligence" and Mitch responds: "Oh yes, time for my spanking!", I swear, I was begging Terri to take him up on the offer. For one thing, if he can smirk about it, then he obviously has not fully grasped the seriousness of the situation, and needs to be reminded.of how serious the consequences of his actions can be. For another, if he's going to put ideas in Terri's head, he needs to be prepared for Terri to actually act on them. For a third, he had been teasing and flirting with poor Terri all day. Even I know you don't flirt with nuns. He deserved that spanking, and I wish she'd given it to him.


I swear Mitch is at least part way spanko. (If you know what that term means, good. If you don't, you don't want to. Trust me on this.) I mean, for one thing, the above paragraph. Only a spanko would seriously make jokes about spanking, and genuinely mean them. Mitch was LITERALLY asking for one. I'm surprised Terri didn't oblige. Actually, no I'm not. I guess that wouldn't have been appropriate for a nun. I still wish she had, though.


The other reason I think Mitch is at least part way spanko is this: One of the episodes in the second series brings up the idea of using an egg beater as a sex toy. (Firstly, minds out of the gutter, all of you. Secondly, please give me a moment to permenantly wipe that mental image out of my mind. It's disturbing.) Anyway, when asked why anyone would want an egg beater during sex, Bron starts making the sound a whirring rotary whisk makes. Mitch on the other hand starts whipping the air enthusiastically, with an almost animalistic gleam in his eyes. (Now I think on it, I might need to get my own mind out of the gutter. That mental image is just, well, EWWWWWW!)


Now, if that isn't the sign of someone who's at least part way spanko, then I don't know what is. I think I'm going to sign off now. This post is starting to feel a little strange, and I've forgotten most of what I wanted to post. I'll post again soon.

No comments: